Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tet

Even though I have celebrated Tet all my life, I have never understood all of the customs that were performed and there were somethings that I have never even heard of before reading the articles. I have never heard of the Kitchen God, or any of the legends. I also never knew that the first day of Tet is celebrated with the husband's parents and that the younger brother, if the parents are not alive, will visit his older sibling. I never understood why my family always had peach blossoms and a kumquat tree but now I do. I found the origins of banh cung and banh giay interesting as well as the legend of the Three Kitchen gods.

I am sad that I will not be celebrating Tet with my family this year, it has been a long time since we've all gotten together. I am also sad that I will not be able to receive any lucky money this year. But the thing I will miss the most is all the delicious food! The food is good because you only have it once a year.


4 comments:

  1. I've celebrated Tet a lot too but there were some stuff I didn't know either. Tại sao sẽ không được ăn mừng năm mới với gia đình của bạn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about all the Tet legends since I never knew any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same, my mom and dad, and especially my church never even talked about the kitchen Gods once. My dad barely knew the story when I asked him about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting how New Years tradition is so different in Vietnam than that of Korea. However, the lucky money is similar. Korean children, after bowing to their elders, receive money. I miss those times!

    ReplyDelete